Multiple NSs or multiple glue records

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Wed Sep 20 06:10:57 UTC 2006

For diversity both additional AAAA and additional A records are not a good idea.

If server.aaaa does not answer because I do not have IPv6 routing, my resolver
shall never query server.a1 because it thinks server.* is dead.

Same if server.a1 does not answer because my route works only on a2 it shall
not even try to reach server.a2

Even if server.a1 and server.a2 are one and the same server I should offer
them an extra NS until I have some 5 to 13 NS records. With IPv6 or DNSSEC
it might be enough to have some 8 servers. Then you may think about adding
A or AAAA records to existing servers.

It is not the quality of your network that is important. Think of somebody
in Antartica on a shortwave link and heavy thunderstorms. He might succeed
on the fifth try to your nameservers. That is what I have seen Zimbabwe
right now. Their nameservers are still working.

Kind regards
Peter and Karin

--
Peter and Karin Dambier