Accuracy of DNSStuff reports

Wed Nov 29 00:55:56 UTC 2006

Res wrote:
> Point taken, and thinking about it, I agree, and maybe the person related
> to DNSReports monitoring this thread could change this to reflect a WARN
> or offer another point of view as to why they prefer FAIL.

Hear, hear.

Although, on DNS Report, it does say "A FAIL record indicates a problem
that really should be fixed", whereas a WARN is a "configuration issue
that is often not worth pursuing."
Personally, I think it's down to the sysadmin's policy really, and that
yes DNS Report should downgrade it to WARN, as it doesn't indicate a DNS
zone is liable to fail.

Also, can anyone clarify how the "Single Point of Failure" test is
worked out?  For example on my domain:
www.dnsstuff.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=www.andycc.net, it reports a
WARN on this test, saying that 1 of it's 2 tests cannot work out if my
nameservers are on different class C IPs - which they are, 80.175.28.46
and 80.175.29.73.  Why is the test failing?  I know it's not a problem
as I know the servers are in different physical locations, I just like
to have a full PASS :-)

Thanks,

Andy.

--
Andy Shellam
NetServe Support Team

the Mail Network
"an alternative in a standardised world"

p: +44 (0) 121 288 0832/0839
m: +44 (0) 7818 000834