Accuracy of DNSStuff reports

Res res at ausics.net
Tue Nov 28 07:33:44 UTC 2006

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006, Barry Margolin wrote:

> My personal bugaboo with DNSReport is the red FAIL it reports for open
> recursive servers.  While it's certainly a bad idea for authoritative

Actually I think it;s good idea, it alerts the admin who set it up they
are open to exploitation and abuse.

The suggested alternative zonecheck amuses me, why does it ping a DNS
server? what the hell has that got to do with a DNS Server serving
requests, it also fails on testing my domain claiming one of my DNS
servers is not responding, however I know it is using host from the same
machine, all sorts of tests will have pros and cons. DNSReport has always
served well.

--
Cheers
Res

"Just a world that we all must share, it's not enough just to stand and
stare, is it only a dream that there'll be no more turning away" - Floyd