Accuracy of DNSStuff reports

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Tue Nov 28 03:09:53 UTC 2006

In article <ekctfc$23bq$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 25, 2006 at 06:23:46PM -0800,
>  Greg Raven <gregraven at gmail.com> wrote
>  a message of 9 lines which said:
>
> > However, tech support at one of the companies that's doing my DNS
> > says that you can't rely on the information gained from DNSStuff.
>
> Correct, it gives many spurious warnings (such as "No glue at parent
> nameservers" for every ".org" domain, for instance).

It sounds like you're talking about DNSReport, not DNSStuff.  DNSStuff
just does basic lookups, it doesn't display the full-blown error report.

My personal bugaboo with DNSReport is the red FAIL it reports for open
recursive servers.  While it's certainly a bad idea for authoritative
servers to be open like this, it should not impact ordinary lookups in
the domain.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA