DNS Lookup Outsourcing?

Dixon, Justin Justin.Dixon at BBandT.com
Mon Nov 27 13:48:32 UTC 2006

Behalf Of Paul
> Vixie
> Sent: Saturday, November 25, 2006 23:04
> To: bind-users at isc.org
> Subject: Re: DNS Lookup Outsourcing?
>
> > > Then why not just hire out and keep you service in house?  Best of
both
> > > worlds, you have someone to look after your setup while you
control it.
> > > I might be willing to do some subcontracting
> >
> > It's all about money I guess.  We seemed to be spending more than
> > $150/month in our time to resolve DNS problems, and I'm guessing a
> > commercial provider could provide more reliable service at less
monthly
> > cost.
>
> i'm keenly interested in the background here.  note that you're
welcome to
> use my recursive nameservers, just send me your address range for my
ACL.
> but beyond that, i'm trying to understand what you mean by "resolve
problems"
> since i just don't quite see what's possible, at least for $150/month.
>
> if someone tries to look something up and it's not there, then the
greatest
> likelihood is that the problem is on the authority server's side or
somewhere
> in the network.  how do you "resolve DNS problems" in those two cases?
is it
> enough to fault-isolate, or do you count on some kind of active
assistance,
> and if so, what?
> --
> Paul Vixie

You might want to have a look at www.dnsmadeeasy.com if you are just
looking for a way to outsource everything. They have a web interface to
all of your DNS records that allows you to manage them from anywhere.
They are using IP anycast routing for their DNS servers similar ISCs
setup for the DNS root server that ISC manages which provides very good
redundancy and availability. They offer both primary and secondary
services and multiple pricing tiers based on the number of domains and
the number of queries per month you receive for those domains.

You still need to have someone who (somewhat) understands DNS to manage
the records so that they don't try to do things that could cause issues
with your DNS setup. This just provides you a way to manage your records
more easily and keeps you from having to setup your own servers to
manage if you don't want that complexity.

Justin Dixon