DNS Lookup Outsourcing?

Paul Vixie Paul_Vixie at isc.org
Sun Nov 26 04:04:13 UTC 2006

> > Then why not just hire out and keep you service in house?  Best of both
> > worlds, you have someone to look after your setup while you control it.
> > I might be willing to do some subcontracting
>
> It's all about money I guess.  We seemed to be spending more than $50 to
> $150/month in our time to resolve DNS problems, and I'm guessing a
> commercial provider could provide more reliable service at less monthly
> cost.

i'm keenly interested in the background here.  note that you're welcome to
use my recursive nameservers, just send me your address range for my ACL.
but beyond that, i'm trying to understand what you mean by "resolve problems"
since i just don't quite see what's possible, at least for $150/month.

if someone tries to look something up and it's not there, then the greatest
likelihood is that the problem is on the authority server's side or somewhere
in the network.  how do you "resolve DNS problems" in those two cases?  is it
enough to fault-isolate, or do you count on some kind of active assistance,
and if so, what?
--
Paul Vixie