I need to manage multiple domains

Ryan McCain Ryan.McCain at dss.state.la.us
Tue Nov 21 01:33:14 UTC 2006

"The @ at the beginning of the line above tells bind to use the name of the domain in named.conf for the zone. So the above zone will work for mydomain.com or anything else you want it to work for."

nice.. I didn't know @ would do that. thanks!

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006, Ryan McCain wrote:

> Also, when you say "only use the fqdn if you really want it to point to
> that particular domain", where are you referring to the use of using
> fqdn?  for each record?

Actually I think I mispoke below.

What I have in my zone files is something like the following:

$TTL 3600
@           IN SOA  ns1.example.com. hostmaster.example.com. (
                         2006111400  ; Serial
                         2h          ; Refresh
                         1h          ; Retry
                         2w          ; Expire
                         1h )        ; Minimum
                         NS  ns1.example.com.
                         NS  ns2.example.com.
                         NS  ns3.example.com.
                         MX  10 mail2.example.com.
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
On the above line I use an fqdn because this will always
point to the mailserver mail2.example.com. no matter what
the domain name is.

             A           192.168.1.37
mail        A           192.168.1.37
imap        A           192.168.1.37
pop         A           192.168.1.37
localhost   A           127.0.0.1

; aliases below.
www         CNAME       @
ftp         CNAME       @
smtp        CNAME       mail

I use this one file for all of what I call generic zones. That way I only
need to maintain one file for the majority of my zones. The @ at the beginning
of the line above tells bind to use the name of the domain in named.conf for the
zone. So the above zone will work for mydomain.com or anything else you want
it to work for.

In my case all of my zones point to ns1.example.com., ns2.example.com.,
ns3.example.com..
If you want to use nameservers with names that match the domain name simply
put ns1, ns2, ns3 and the domain name will get added to the nameservers when
the zone is loaded.

> <tdiehl at rogueind.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 20 Nov 2006, Ryan McCain wrote:
>>
>>> Wouldn't a symbolic link fail because the zone records have this
>>> declared at the top:
>>>
>>> $ORIGIN . $TTL 3600       ; 1 hour
>>> domain1.com         IN SOA  server1.domain1.com (

Don't put the domain name on the above line. Just put an @ sign.

Does this make sense??

Regards,

Tom Diehl		tdiehl at rogueind.com		Spamtrap address mtd123 at rogueind.com