I need to manage multiple domains

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Mon Nov 20 21:32:29 UTC 2006

> On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 09:51:38AM -0600,
>  Ryan McCain <Ryan.McCain at dss.state.la.us> wrote
>  a message of 20 lines which said:
>
> > I've read on the net some peoples dislike for DNAME records but
> > haven't been able to find out why?  Could you point me to a link or
> > give me a short explanation.
>
> DNAME are complicated to understand and not supported by all DNS
> implementations.

	True they are not understood by all implementations but
	they don't need to be.  They only *need* to be understood
	by the authoritative servers for the zone.

	Also any server that supports the current DNSSEC specification
	(RFC 403[345]) is *required* to support DNSSEC.

	I used DNAME for years to support my ip6.int zones.

> Your use case is solved in a simple way by symbolic links but, if you
> want to learn and experiment, go ahead with DNAMEs.

	Linking the master files also has the penalty of more memory
	usage in the servers and more zones that have to be transfered
	when the content changes.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC