mutiple dns servers

Dixon, Justin Justin.Dixon at BBandT.com
Fri Nov 17 16:14:16 UTC 2006

Behalf Of Barry
> Margolin
> Sent: Friday, November 17, 2006 10:31
> To: comp-protocols-dns-bind at isc.org
> Subject: Re: mutiple dns servers
>
> In article <ejkhaa$p44$1 at sf1.isc.org>, chris153 at gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Is it posible to point my domain to mutiple dns servers at the same
> > time? I have a webhost that I want to point my domain to their dns
and
> > I want to point it to another dns server. my webhost does not allow
me
> > to change any settings on the dns like mx and A records and the
other
> > dns server does.
>
> All the servers for a domain normaly have to serve the same data.
> Otherwise, you'll get unpredictable results -- if someone asks
server1,
> they'll get one answer, if they ask server2 they'll get a different
> answer.  So unless this is what you actually want (perhaps to
implement
> some form of load balancing), you need to keep all the DNS servers in
> sync.
>
> --
> Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
> Arlington, MA

Your DNS servers *do not* have to be owned/managed by your webhost. If
you wish to change the DNS servers for your domain, first ensure that
you have all the records created at your new provider. Then have your
current host set all DNS TTLs to 3600 or less and if your MX records are
changing, have them change the MX record to the new setting. Once these
changes have propagated, usually about 24-72 hours, make the change at
the registrar for your domain to list your authoritative nameservers at
the new provider. Once these changes have propagated, 24-72 hours again,
notify your webhost to remove the DNS records for your domain from their
DNS servers to prevent stale data from causing issues inside their
network.

This will allow you to have your DNS servers with a provider that allows
you to easily update your own records, while still maintaining your
website with your current hosting provider.

Justin