mutiple dns servers

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Fri Nov 17 15:31:28 UTC 2006

In article <ejkhaa$p44$1 at sf1.isc.org>, chris153 at gmail.com wrote:

> Is it posible to point my domain to mutiple dns servers at the same
> time? I have a webhost that I want to point my domain to their dns and
> I want to point it to another dns server. my webhost does not allow me
> to change any settings on the dns like mx and A records and the other
> dns server does.

All the servers for a domain normaly have to serve the same data.
Otherwise, you'll get unpredictable results -- if someone asks server1,
they'll get one answer, if they ask server2 they'll get a different
answer.  So unless this is what you actually want (perhaps to implement
some form of load balancing), you need to keep all the DNS servers in
sync.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA