Solaris 8 named is ignorant

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Nov 6 19:55:30 UTC 2006

DrSpock wrote:
> Hi.  I have a sun box running Solaris 8 (SunOS kernel 5.8) and I have
> brought it up inside my
> firewall.  It is seen by (they can telnet to it) other computers on my
> private subnet, and they can
> ping it.  I did this by
>
> creating an /etc/hosts file with all known boxes on the subnet by IP
> address and name.
>
> editing /etc/netmasks so that this subnet's netmask matches the other
> boxes and
> the router's (LINKSYS) netmask.
>
> editing the /etc/hostname.dmfe0  file and putting the hosts name in it.
>
> so far so good...
>
> In the /etc/resolv.conf file I have:
>
> domain myISP.net                         /* actually the domainname of
> my ISP */
> nameserver 6N.8N.7N.NN
> nameserver 6N.8N.7N.NN
>
> Where "N" is the correct number that matches my ISP DNS servers.  These
> 2 DNS servers
> work for all the other boxes on the subnet.
>
> Then I went into /etc/rc2.d and ran # S72inetsvc start, which starts
> in.named
>
> Sendmail complains that it is "unable to qualify my own domainname"
> and all the TCP services tell me the following:
>  Nov  4 13:29:53 sarek inetd[337]: dtspc/tcp: bind: Address already in
> use
> Nov  4 13:29:53 sarek inetd[337]: printer/tcp: bind: Address already in
> use
> Nov  4 13:29:53 sarek inetd[337]: fs/tcp: bind: Address already in use
> Nov  4 13:29:53 sarek inetd[337]: chargen/tcp: bind: Address already in
> use
> Nov  4 13:29:53 sarek inetd[337]: daytime/tcp: bind: Address already in
> use
> Nov  4 13:29:53 sarek inetd[337]: discard/tcp: bind: Address already in
> use
> Nov  4 13:29:53 sarek inetd[337]: echo/tcp: bind: Address already in
> use
> Nov  4 13:29:53 sarek inetd[337]: time/tcp: bind: Address already in
> use
> Nov  4 13:29:53 sarek inetd[337]: finger/tcp: bind: Address already in
> use
> Nov  4 13:29:53 sarek inetd[337]: uucp/tcp: bind: Address already in
> use
> Nov  4 13:29:53 sarek inetd[337]: exec/tcp: bind: Address already in
> use
> Nov  4 13:29:53 sarek last message repeated 1 time
> Nov  4 13:29:53 sarek inetd[337]: login/tcp: bind: Address already in
> use
> Nov  4 13:29:53 sarek inetd[337]: shell/tcp: bind: Address already in
> use
> Nov  4 13:29:53 sarek last message repeated 1 time
>
> >From a default multiuser boot in.named wasn't running.... After booting
> and logging in across
> the net, should I be changing the runstate to some higher level?  I
> have decades of UNIX
> [...]
OK, so you're using your ISP for name resolution and sendmail is
complaining about not being able to resolve the name of the local host.
So the obvious question is: can your ISP's nameservers resolve the name
of your local host?

As for your "Address already in use" errors, that's because you ran
/etc/rc2.d/S72inetsvc manually. Now you have multiple inetd processes
running and contending with each other over the same set of port
numbers. Generally it's a bad idea to run /etc/rc2.d/S72inetsvc manually.

Don't know why you're concerned about in.named not starting. You're not
using yourself for DNS resolution anyway, so why do you care whether
you're running in.named or not?

                                 - Kevin