Delegation doesn't seem to be working

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri May 26 00:33:22 UTC 2006

Curt Shaffer wrote:

>I added the following in the domain.com:
>
>NS1                      IN      A       IP.OF.ROOT.NS
>NS2                      IN      A       IP.OF.Sub.Domain
>NS3.abc                IN      A       IP.OF.Sub.Domain
>
>I added the following in abc.domain.com:
>
>NS3                     IN      A       IP.OF.Sub.Domain
>NS1.domain.com. IN      A       IP.OF.ROOT.NS
>www                    IN      A       IP.OF.RR.WWW (This was there I
>just did not post it)

The NS1.domain.com A record is misplaced in the abc.domain.com zone.
Glue records only apply "downwards", i.e. you can have glue in a parent
zone for a name that lives in the child zone, but not the other way
around. This erroneous placement shouldn't have caused the whole zone to
fail, though, so you still need to look for the original and root cause
of your problem.

                                                      - Kevin

P.S. Please stop using the term "root" to refer to your main domain.
Properly speaking, that term should only be used to refer to the actual
"root" (i.e. ".") zone, which is the apex of the entire DNS namespace.