Experimental IPv6 Resolver Library

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Tue May 16 10:06:39 UTC 2006

JINMEI Tatuya / ???? wrote:

>>The latest BIND 9 README says
>>                - IP version 6
>>                        Answers DNS queries on IPv6 sockets
>>                        IPv6 resource records (AAAA)
>>                        Experimental IPv6 Resolver Library
>>What is this "Experimental IPv6 Resolver Library"?  Is it actually a new
>>library that I couldn't find or just IPv6 support added to the old bind 8
>>compatible library or to the lwres library/daemon?
>

> It has been in README since a very old version of BIND9, so I guess
> it means a lwres library in general (bind-9.x.y/lib/lwres/) or
> specifically the getrrset() function implemented as part of the
> lwreslib.  (I'm not very much familiar with BIND9 at that stage or a
> BIND9 historian, so it's just a guess).
>
> 					JINMEI, Tatuya
> 					Communication Platform Lab.
> 					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
> 					jinmei at isl.rdc.toshiba.co.jp

I remember experimenting. I had to run a Bind in lwres mode on my workstation.
I could either query using DNS on port 53 or I could use a special port that
worked on localhost only.

I had to give it up because the lib did not look into /etc/hosts at all.
The memory footprint was horrible. Switching applications to use the lib was
horrible too.

Just for curiousity, djbdns has its own resolver lib too and "of course it is
much better than ..." and it too does not use /etc/hosts.

--
Peter and Karin Dambier
The Public-Root Consortium
mail: peter at peter-dambier.de