BIND 9 configuration Problems on HP UX

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Wed Mar 29 19:15:11 UTC 2006

Jeff Lightner <jlightner at water.com> wrote:
> Correct.  The cc (C compiler) that comes natively with HP-UX is ONLY
> for recompiling the kernel.

Small nit - it isn't recompiling the kernel, it is regenning the
kernel. While there may be a small quantity of actual compilation
involved relating to those few kernel tunables that have yet to become
dynamic, the vast majority of it is stitching the libraries together
again.

> You have to have ANSI C (or C++) or gcc installed to do compiling of
> anything else.  If you're only using the box for compiling open
> source software you should either go with gcc or do it on a box that
> already has ANSI C (or C++) as these both cost money where as gcc
> doesn't.

While I have a natural bias in selection of compilers to use under
HP-UX :) I do find that at least trying to compile open source
software with something other than gcc is goodness.  The exposure to
different compilers can help find issues in the source code that might
not be exposed as easily otherwise. At least, that has been my
experience with netperf.

Admittedly, "open-source" does not in and of itself imply "portable"
but portable, open-source code would seem to be a worthy goal.

WRT BIND, thusfar I have found it to be portable, open-source code.

rick jones