Named on LAN problem

Olaf Lautenschlaeger olaf.lautenschlaeger at gmx.net
Sun Jun 25 16:54:30 UTC 2006

S t i n g r a y <fasi_74 at yahoo.com> wrote
on Saturday, June 24, 2006 12:04 PM [GMT+1=CET]:

> Well recently i ask for help regarding my first dns server on
> LAN & now i have installed & configured it ,
> but there is one problem its not workign the way i want it to
> for example i want to have a local domain called
> clickonline.net mapping to the ip address of 10.0.0.4 but its
> not working .. here are my config files.
>
> named.conf
>
> acl clients {
>       10.0.0.0/16;
>        ::1;
> };
>
> [...]
>
> my /var/named/master/db.clickonline.net file
>
> $TTL    86400
> @       IN      SOA     ns.clickonline.net.
> admin at clickonline.net. (

The SOA syntax hat to be going slightly different
than eMail addresses normally do; you need to
replace the "@" in "admin at ..." by a dot (".").

named-checkzone is your friend. It will load and
parse your zonefile exactly like named would do
and complain more or less rigorous about any
syntax issues.

>                              1         ; Serial
>                         604800         ; Refresh
>                          86400         ; Retry
>                        2419200         ; Expire
>                          86400 )       ; Negative Cache TTL
> ;

You declared ns.clickonline beeing responsible for
your domain, but forget to assign any IP to this host-
name:

> @       IN      NS      ns.clickonline.net.
>
> @       IN      A      10.0.0.4
> mailserver       IN      A      10.0.0.2
> firewall      IN      A      10.0.0.6

Simply add this line

ns    IN    A    10.0.0.6

to the zone file, don't forget to increase the
SOA's serial, then issue

rndc reload clickonline.net

and report if it's working now.

> my /etc/resolve.conf file
>
> domain  clickonline.net
> nameserver 10.0.0.6

Just to make it clear: the resolv.conf on your BIND host
has nothing to do with the way your other workstations
will resolve their DNS requests.