Journal open failed.

Stefan Puiu stefan.puiu at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 13:55:23 UTC 2006

On 6/15/06, kalyanasundaram S <s.kalyanasundaram at inbox.com> wrote:
> here only i have added
>  startproc -p ${NAMED_PID} ${NAMED_BIN} ${NAMED_ARGS} -u named -g -d10

'-g' shouldn't be there, as far as I know - it means named gets run in
the foreground, and I don't think that's what you want to do. Read the
documentation about logging in the ARM and enable query logging in
named.conf. Some of the information will be in syslog, some in
whatever other log file you configure.

I don't know whether SLES 10 uses SELinux, but I guess that's more of
a SLES-related question. People on this list use bind all of the time,
but not necessarily on SuSE, and not necessarily on the same version
as you. I guess google could enlighten you on that.

It would be good if you could post the exact error messages you get -
bind saying on startup that the journal file for a zone is missing
doesn't make much sense to me.

About permissions, from reading the BIND FAQ item I understand that
the SELinux stuff overrides the file permissions, so there might still
be some quirk left. Also, the question in the FAQ concerns RHEL and
Fedora, not SuSE.

hth, Stefan.