Journal open failed.

kalyanasundaram S s.kalyanasundaram at inbox.com
Thu Jun 15 13:04:55 UTC 2006

> Are you sure about that? Check the /etc/init.d/named script, that's
> what rcnamed ends up calling, at least on my old SuSE. For example, I
> have:
>
> startproc -p ${NAMED_PID} ${NAMED_BIN} ${NAMED_ARGS} -u named

here only i have added
 startproc -p ${NAMED_PID} ${NAMED_BIN} ${NAMED_ARGS} -u named -g -d10

> Thus running as 'named'.
>
> Also look for 'CHROOT' in that file, I have something like:
>
> --->
> . /etc/sysconfig/named
>
> if [ x"${NAMED_RUN_CHROOTED}" = x"yes" ]; then
>         CHROOT_PREFIX="/var/lib/named"
>         NAMED_ARGS="${NAMED_ARGS} -t ${CHROOT_PREFIX}"
> else
>         CHROOT_PREFIX=""
> fi
> <---

It is available too i just made a echo statment inside if statment.. and it is printed out also.
so it is starting as chroot right?.

> So after all the chroot setting is down to /etc/sysconfig/named. Of
> course, this is an older SuSE.
>

> I'm not sure the  "-d 10" is appended to the named command line, but
> you can enable tracing later from the command line with 'rndc trace
> 10'.

if i have -g option it print some basic information.
the -d option enables if whenever a query has come from tghe client it print what is exactly happeing..

> Probably SuSE has a permission problem with scenarios where you want
> dynamic update to work, or so it seems. Normally yast should've taken
> care of this.

how should i resolve then that permission problem..

> Oh, and btw, 'allow-update { any; };' is also not a good idea, that
> means anybody that can talk directly to your nameserver can change
> your zone.

> Stefan.
let me make it run first then i go for keys and other things..
can you plz help me to come out of this..

ok then i gonna try with bind 9.2.3 which i had in OES. currently i am using 9.3.2

thanks,
  -"kalyan"