Redirecting NXDOMAINS

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Jun 8 23:06:06 UTC 2006

> Hello,
>
> I have checked the ARM and the list archives, but I haven't been able to
> find out whether this is possible in bind.
>
> We would like to return a particular IP address instead of a negative
> response to DNS queries for non-existent sites.
>
> I know there may be some resistance to doing this from purists, but for
> a low-cost provider, any additional income we can generate by
> redirecting such requests to a search pages with ads that generate
> money, allows us to keep our costs low.
>
> I know several companies are charging for this service, but it seems
> such an easy modification can be done locally without having to pay the
> middleman.
>
> Thanks!

	There is no such support in BIND.  It is also a bad idea as
	the Internet is not just HTTP.  Doing this would break every
	other protocol.

	If you really want to do this then force all you customers to
	use a HTTP proxy and have it put up the search page.  That way
	you don't break everything else.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC