Trouble with External Lookups

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Thu Jun 8 00:10:56 UTC 2006

In article <e6788h$1h7l$1 at sf1.isc.org>, krmdv at netscape.net wrote:

> I have rebuilt my DNS server several times over now and Im still having the
> same problem.  Both of my reverse lookups are failing for inside and outside
> views.  I have verified that zone files with the named-checkzone command and
> all zone files pass with OK.  The named service seems to be starting up
> properly as there are no errors in the messages log file.  Im really running
> out of ideas as to what to try.  I can send someone my named.conf and
> corresponding zone files to help trouble shoot this better.  Any thoughts
> would be greatly appreciated here.  Im running bind-9.3.2-4.1 on FC5.

You haven't provided any details of the types of errors you're getting,
so I don't know how you expect anyone to help you.  And what do you mean
by "both of my reverse lookups"?  That wording suggests that there are
two specific reverse lookups that you always do, and they're both
failing, but that doesn't help us understand the problem.

No one wants you to send them your config files directly, unless you
hire them as a consultant.  Post some example "dig" commands (please,
not "nslookup") and your config files to the group.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA