Logging in named

Radu "Ux" D. raduda at itcnetworks.ro
Wed Jun 7 18:52:47 UTC 2006

Hi

I am using BIND 9.3.1.

I have the following named.conf

options {
    directory "__________";

    check-names master ignore;
    check-names slave ignore;
    check-names response ignore;
};
logging {
    channel file_queries { file "queries.log" versions 10 size
100m;severity info;print-category yes;print-severity yes;print-time yes; };
    category queries { file_queries; };
    channel file_xfer { file "xfer.log" versions 10 size 2m;severity
info;print-category yes;print-severity yes;print-time yes; };
    category xfer-in { file_xfer; };
    category xfer-out { file_xfer; };
    channel file_notify { file "notify.log" versions 10 size 2m;severity
info;print-category yes;print-severity yes;print-time yes; };
    category notify { file_notify; };
    channel file_security { file "security.log" versions 10 size
2m;severity info;print-category yes;print-severity yes;print-time yes; };
    category security { file_security; };
    channel file_updates { file "updates.log" versions 10 size
2m;severity info;print-category yes;print-severity yes;print-time yes; };
    category update { file_updates; };
    channel file_other { file "other.log" versions 10 size 2m;severity
info;print-category yes;print-severity yes;print-time yes; };
    category default { file_other; };
    category general { file_other; };
    channel debugging { file "bind.log" versions 10 size 100m;severity
debug 99;print-category yes;print-severity yes;print-time yes; };
};
zone "." in {
type hint;
file "root.cache.db";
};

I started named on W2k: I see bind.log file with size 0.
I started named on Solaris 10: I see bind.log file with size over 1 MB
and increasing (with expected debug messages)

Which is correct behavior: as I see on W2k or as I see on Solaris?
Why the behavior is different?

Thx, Radu