silent failure zone transfert from BIND to windows 2003

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Jul 20 21:43:25 UTC 2006

> We are currently using a Bind 4 DNS server .
>
> This server is master for a number of internal zones .
>
> For a newly added zone this DNS server was configured as secondary
> (added in named.boot) for a windows 2003 system. Upon launching the
> zonetransfert , the TCP session starts and zone transfert initiates .
>
> However after exchanging some initial data the tranfert is stopped .
> The BIND servers gives a reset back to windows system and tranfert
> closes .
>
> When we did this with the first window server , error messages "format
> error" appeared in the traces through ethereal.
>
> Upon this we initiated the zone tranfert from the BIND server to
> another windows domain controller and experienced the same behaviour .
> (but in the traces we no longer see the "format error")
>
> Does anybody has a suggestion on what could be wrong ?

	You mean apart from using BIND 4 which reached end-of-life
	9 years ago (June 1997)?

	Seriously there is no where near enough data to hazard a guess
	as to what went wrong.

	I would upgrade to BIND 9.  There are conversion tools to
	covert named.boot into named.conf.  The master files should
	just be usable unless you were not follow correct practices.
	Run named-checkzone on them first and correct any errors
	reported.

	See doc/misc/migration-4to9 and doc/misc/migration.
	See contrib/named-bootconf/named-bootconf.sh.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org