silent failure zone transfert from BIND to windows 2003

werner werner.verheylewegen at belgacom.be
Thu Jul 20 14:41:35 UTC 2006

We are currently using a Bind 4 DNS server .

This server is master for a number of internal zones .

For a newly added zone this DNS server was configured as secondary
(added in named.boot) for a windows 2003 system. Upon launching the
zonetransfert , the TCP session starts and zone transfert initiates .

However after exchanging some initial data the tranfert is stopped .
The BIND servers gives a reset back to windows system and tranfert
closes .

When we did this with the first window server , error messages "format
error" appeared in the traces through ethereal.

Upon this we initiated the zone tranfert from the BIND server to
another windows domain controller and experienced the same behaviour .
(but in the traces we no longer see the "format error")

Does anybody has a suggestion on what could be wrong ?