Configuring Absolute minimum TTL in BIND-8.4.7

Stefan Schoeman stefan at internext.co.za
Tue Jul 18 15:41:47 UTC 2006

Thank you for your reply Barry,

Yes, axfr from the MyDNS server did show the larger TTL. However, I was
still not convinced that it was not the dig from Bind that caused this, so I
did a tcpdump and analysed with Ethereal. Indeed, the MyDNS server reported
the larger TTL, but only for axfr. A dig query for the specific record
returned the correct TTL for the individual record. It turns out that MyDNS
has a configuration setting to override individual record TTL's with the
minimum TTL for the domain itself which is active by default. Altered this
and now Bind gets the correct axfr response.

Thanks for the help.

Stefan Schoeman
South Africa