name server / zone file question

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Jan 26 22:55:52 UTC 2006

John wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm not really very familiar with BIND, DNS & zone files however I've
>been studying them a bit recently in an attempt to get an answer to my
>problem.  I own many domains and the past year or so I've been
>experimenting more and more with domain parking programs.  I would like
>to be able to redirect users to multiple parking programs equally to
>see which one does the best with each domain.  Many of these programs
>such as fabulous.com and trafficclub.com require you to set the
>nameservers on your domain to their nameservers via your registrar.  Is
>there any way to create a set of custom name servers and a zone file so
>I can redirect visitors to the destination nameservers like this:
>
>ns1.customnameserver.com -> ns1.fabulous.com & ns2.fabulous.com
>ns2.customnameserver.com -> ns1.trafficclub.com, ns2.trafficclub.com,
>ns3.trafficclub.com & ns4.trafficclub.com
>
>And possibly a few others similiar to the above model.  When I
>contacted my current webhost they say it was possible but they did not
>offer such a solution.  Thank you for your time.

If you want to delegate the customnameserver.com domain to fabulous.com
and/or trafficclub.com nameservers, then just go ahead and delegate them
there. There's nothing special or unusual about that.

Or, perhaps I am not understanding what you mean by "redirect" (?).
That's not really a DNS term.

                                          - Kevin