change the SOA

Jeff Reasoner jeff.reasoner at mail.hccanet.org
Wed Jan 25 22:26:18 UTC 2006

Your question isn't particularly clear, especially the part about the
temporary nameservers pointing to the new SOA. However, it sounds like
the general concern is that changing the authoritative server in the SOA
will break name resolution for you domain.
My experience is that it will not. Most applications - http, smtp and
the servers that run them don't care about SOAs.

My concern would be making sure your registrar gets your parent domain
to update the delegation for your domain in a timely fashion when you
switch IP addresses. Especially if the old addresses no longer route to
your servers. Also, don't forget to contact RIPENET (?) about delegating
your new net block (or your new ISP if your subnet can't be delegated to
you). That can take a while, and can have a greater impact in terms of
mail delivery.

Jeff

Based on my experience, the info in the