change the SOA

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jan 25 21:32:46 UTC 2006

Aleksander wrote:

>Hi,
>
>have some master dns records and their SOA is
>"auto-generated-named.domain.com". The name is literally
>"auto-generated-blahblah", this really sucks. We moved off that firewall
>solution and now have the gateway running on a normal linux distro with
>bind9. I'd like to clean up the records now. There's an IP change on the
>way too, would be nice to clean up the records and lower TTL and the
>same time.
>
>Would it be fine, if I change the zones to have the SOA to be
>domain.com. and add temporary nameservers
>"auto-generated-name.domain.com" which point to the new SOA? Will this
>break anything? And then notify the registrar etc.
>
>In other words, if I change the SOA and let the old SOA name point to
>the new one (NS record), will other hosts adapt the new SOA name? It's
>important not to break the DNS for the hosts.
>
>Put it more simply, what are the steps when changing the SOA?

There are multiple fields to an SOA record. I assume you're talking
about the first field, the so-called "MNAME" field. The only thing the
MNAME is used for is NOTIFY and Dynamic Update, and only by default
(i.e. the contents of MNAME can be ignored via "also-notify"/"notify
explicit", and by "server x.x.x.x" in nsupdate). So unless either of
those apply to you, I would just go ahead and modify the SOA contents
much as you modify the contents of any other resource record.

      - Kevin