looping client

Sami Kerola sami.kerola at teliasonera.com
Fri Jan 20 10:56:28 UTC 2006

Hello,

I am isp hostmaster and I have couple resolvers for customers.
I've noticed that some dns cliets seem to be in loop querying same
records time after time without delay between queries. One
customer told that dns client behaving this way is.

Microsoft Windows 2000 version 5.0 build 2195 service pack 4

The server is forwarding dns resolver. Currently I see the dns
client askint these names.

161.154.77.82.in-addr.arpa.
69.180.246.82.in-addr.arpa.
www.dodinfo.com.
www.gi.
www.toolo.net.

Resolver returns ServFail all of thous. There is plenty of
queries, I see about 45000 per hour from my problem dns client.
This is not first time for me to see this kind of dns client, but
this time I'd like to dig out root cause.

Does someone else see this kind of queries? Is there some
Microsoft patch which solves problem? Could it be broken software
which causes these queries? Is the software Microsoft dns
forwarder?

--
    Sami Kerola
    http://www.dc.inet.fi/kerola/