zone ./IN: has 0 SOA records

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Feb 21 21:04:12 UTC 2006

> 	I get this message when starting an experimental DNS using
> bind9.3.1.  Right now, all the zones are private zones or reverse maps
> to private networks but the named.ca file and the "." zone designation
> are standard.

	All real zones require a SOA record and a NS RRset at the top.
	The zone you supplied does not have a SOA record at the top.

> 	The server actually runs but, as is no surprise, can not resolve
> any domains other than the private zones which it has.
>
> 	I wanted to cause this name server to resolve private zones
> which it does and recursively resolve external queries which it
> doesn't.

	Use the standard hint zone.

	Use stub/master/slave zones for the top on the internal namespaces
	with "forwarders { /* empty */ };" declarations to override any
	forwarders in options.

> 	Is there an updated file somewhere of all the error messages
> and warnings from bind9.3.1 so I can update my resources?

	Not that I am aware of.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org