Questions about my special DNS setting

Robert Spangler lazydog at zoominternet.net
Sat Dec 16 14:06:04 UTC 2006

On Mon December 11 2006 01:02, dev_null wrote:

>  So I create this config file:
>
>  zone "foo.com" in {
>          type master;
>          file "db.foo.com";
>  };
>
>  And in db.foo.com, I wrote:
>
>  $TTL 3h
>  @ IN SOA dns-cache.foo.com. host.foo.com. (
>                            1        ; Serial
>                            3h       ; Refresh after 3 hours
>                            1h       ; Retry after 1 hour
>                            1w       ; Expire after 1 week
>                            1h )     ; Negative caching TTL of 1 hour
>
>  foo.com.         IN NS  dns-cache.foo.com.
>  aaa             IN A    192.168.0.10
>
>  This works fine.When I 'ping aaa.foo.com', I got the responce from
> '192.168.0.10'.
>

>  The problems for me are,since I don't add all the records in public
> authority DNS's zone file to local DNS zone,some resolving become lost.For
> example,there is an A record in public authority DNS:
>
>  mail.foo.com      325     IN      A       125.90.100.yyy
>
>  But this A record don't appear in my private DNS.When using the private
> DNS and 'ping mail.foo.com',I got nothing.

You have to add all records you what to be able to resolve for foo.com to your
internal zone file in order for them to resolve.  Your internal DNS server
says he is the one that has everything for foo.com and if it's not there then
it doesn't exist.

>  Is there any way to resolve my problems? I hope that,for some a request,if
> there is no records in the private DNS,it should be forwarded to the public
> authority DNS.Can this be done by 'dns forward'? Thanks in advances.

Not that I am aware of because of the above.

Since you are using SPLIT DNS you should have everything on the internal and
just what you want to externally resolve on the external DNS server.  You
should not rely on the external dns server for internal lookups for your own
zone.

--

Regards
Robert