Does a zone file specify its domain name?

Eric Berg eberg at bergbrains.com
Mon Dec 11 19:22:00 UTC 2006

In anticipation of migrating our DNS servers from manual editing to an
management tool (Sauron) I'm writing a script that will parse the original
zone files and resolve each name/number in those files against the server
running the new config.

One of the questions that has arisen is whether there is anything in the
SOA record that indicates to what zone the rr's defined in that file belong.

Also, do any of you know of any tools that will validate a DNS server this
way that are out there already?

Thanks.

-Eric.