big problem - possibly dns?

Dana Holland dana.holland at navarrocollege.edu
Thu Dec 14 14:46:23 UTC 2006

Mark Andrews wrote:
  > 	Why were you re-entering data?  BIND 8 and BIND 9 both read
> 	the same master files as BIND 4 does.  They are just stricter
> 	than BIND 4 w.r.t. error in the master files.

Thanks everyone.  It started working about 5 minutes after I posted to
the group.  I guess it was the caching problem mentioned.

I was re-entering data because I was trying to get some clean
configuration files.    Such as using the $TTL.  And I didn't want to
risk my original files in case something didn't work.

> 	Just go straight to BIND 9.

Was planning that originally - but the system we're on already had a
Bind 8 binary.  My first attempt and compiling and testing Bind 9 didn't
work, so I thought using the Bind 8 as an intermediate step would at
least get me off of Bind 4.