views/slaves/notify problem cures?

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Thu Dec 14 05:44:24 UTC 2006

In article <elp667$2u2l$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Craig Paul <paul at cap.cc.ku.edu>
wrote:

> So, if notify updated all views that would be optimal.

Views are intended to simulate having multiple, independent servers,
that each only communicate with a particular set of client addresses
(think of it as if they were each behind a firewall that only allows DNS
requests from the clients that are in the view's "match-clients"
clause).  If you consider it like this, you'll understand why the above
wish doesn't really fit in with the philosophy of views.  The NOTIFY
messages are just ordinary DNS messages, so they get processed only by
the matching view.

Remember, each view on a slave could have a different master for the
same zone.  If you have different masters for the inside and outside
versions of your zone, by use views on the slave, the inside view should
only update when the inside master sends a notify, and the outside view
should only update when the outside master sends a notify.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA