zone transfer from bind to microsoft

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Thu Aug 31 14:19:54 UTC 2006

keith.nieman at SLU.EDU wrote:

>Hi!
>
>i am running BIND 9.2.3rc2 on Mandrake Linux release 9.2 (FiveStar) for i586.
>i am zone transferring a file to a windows2000server running
>microsoft windows dns.
>
>i can zone transfer from my mandrake machine to three other
>mandrake hosts running that version of bind and to another
>host running BIND 9.2.1 on Red Hat Linux release 8.0 (Psyche).
>
>whenever i up the serial number and restart named dns on
>the primary server it automajically sends the zone transfer file
>to those four hosts.
>
>the systems guy in charge of the windows box can pull a zone transfer
>from me when he clicks on the pull tab.
>
>the windows box is on a different ip network in case i matters.
>
>is there one more thing i need to add or he needs to add to make
>it automajically go from my mandrake box to his windows box
>when i restart named.
>
>thanks for any pointers...
>
>please reply
>to niemankj at slu.edu or keith.nieman at slu.edu
>
>thanks...

In addition to what has already been suggested, I offer the following:

Do you have DNS logging enabled?  What is in the dns.log file?
Is the master sending a NOTIFY to the MS slave server?
I do not have any slave zones on my MS W2k+3 DNS Server, so I have no
direct experience with this situation.  On the MS DNS Server, you
specify the IP address of the master server.  I do not know if the
MS slave code does any checks when a NOTIFY packet arrives other than
to insure that the packet came from the IP of the master server.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov