Crash with bind 9.2.4

Jim McNamara jim.mcnamara at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 02:58:03 UTC 2006

Hello all. I had a crash on my nameserver tonight, and I'm curious as
to what may have caused it. It is a Debian box, running bind 9.2.4.
Here are the relavant logs:

Aug 29 20:24:58.612 general: critical: socket.c:2204: fatal error:
Aug 29 20:24:58.612 general: critical: select() failed: Bad address
Aug 29 20:24:58.612 general: critical: exiting (due to fatal error in library)

And the query that I'm assuming caused the crash:

Aug 29 20:24:58.559 queries: info: client W.X.Y.Z#59258: query:
40.244.170.161.in-addr.arpa IN PTR

The server is split view, only allowing queries for non-authoritative
domains from client machines, and W.X.Y.Z that issued the PTR query is
part of the acl that can ask the server anything and get useful
time, previously without any problems.

Google had nothing for me when I searched with some of the crash logs.
If you want/need any additional info, I'd be glad to supply it.

Thanks,
Jim