Querying root for lists of a nameservers gTLD zones.

nocturnal nocturnal at swehack.se
Wed Aug 9 07:55:51 UTC 2006

Hi

In a recent e-mail conversation with a person i was shown that it is
possible to query the root nameservers for lists of all .com .net .org
.biz .info domains that point to a certain nameserver without having
much background information except for the host of the nameserver. The
person i talked to would not show me how he did this but he did give me
a list he had queried the roots for about my nameservers and it matched
up pretty well. I know it's not a list from my registrar because the
registrar has more domains of those TLDs that don't point to those
nameservers and were not in the list.

Everyone i have asked have told me that this is impossible to do, i'm
hoping someone on this list can either confirm that it is possible or
show me how he did this. I would really like to know this because i'm
very interested in learning more about DNS. An explanation of how this
query works would be appreciated.
--

Med vänliga hälsningar

Stefan Midjich aka nocturnal