dynamic Bind9 and multiboot OSes computers

olidel olidel olidel_36 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 4 14:58:13 UTC 2006

Hello,
    I have configured a DNS server (bind v 9.0) on a Mandrake 10.1 computer and I've got a problem with the updates of my DNS with my computers which are doing multiboot  (windows xp, windows vista beta, win nt4, different linux version kubuntu...). The update of the A record and also the reversed zone (although in this case it is not so important) is not done correctly when I'm booting from linux to win xp. So, in fact I would like to know if it is possible to keep the same computer name and to have the DNS server updated correctly and dynamically with DHCP (I didn't find any clear answer on this on the internet). If it is possible I would like to know what are the different steps to achieve this goal. You will find below my dhcpd.conf and named.conf files and also the error message that I receive when I'm booting from linux to win xp.

Thank you

O.D.

the error messages :

 update unsuccessful: ordi02.nowhere.com: 'name not in use' prerequisite not satisfied (YXDOMAIN)
 update unsuccessful: ordi02.nowhere.com/TXT: 'RRset exists (value dependent)' prerequisite not satisfied (NXRRSET)

named.conf :

###
# dynamic DNS control file
###
# Date: February 18, 2006
###

options {
directory "/var/named";
pid-file "/var/run/named/named.pid";
 listen-on {
  192.168.1.2;
  127.0.0.1;
  };
forwarders {
    x.x.x.x; // ce n'est pas la valeur réelle
    y.y.y.y; // ce n'est pas la valeur réelle
    };

forward first;
notify yes;
};

logging {
        channel update_debug {
                file "/var/named/update-debug.log";
                severity        debug 3;
                print-category  yes;
                print-severity  yes;
                print-time      yes;
        };
        channel security_info   {
                file    "/var/named/named-auth.log";
                severity        info;
                print-category  yes;
                print-severity  yes;
                print-time      yes;
        };

        category update { update_debug; };
        category security { security_info; };
};

#include "/etc/rndc.key";

acl "mesordis" {
    any;
};

key rndckey {
algorithm hmac-md5;
secret "ma_clé";
};

controls {
inet 127.0.0.1 port 953 allow { 127.0.0.1;} keys { rndckey; };
};

zone "." in {
type hint;
file "/var/named/root.hint";
};

zone "localhost" in {
type master;
file "/var/named/localhost.zone";
};

zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" in {
type master;
file "/var/named/127.0.0.zone";
notify yes;
};

zone "nowhere.com" {
type master;
allow-query { any; };
file "/var/named/nowhere.com.zone";
allow-update { key rndckey; };
#update-policy { grant rndckey subdomain nowhere.com any;};
};

zone "1.168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
type master;
allow-query { any; };
file "/var/named/192.168.1.zone";
allow-update { key rndckey; };
#update-policy { grant rndckey subdomain nowhere.com any;};
};

dhcpd.conf :

authoritarive;
ddns-update-style interim;
option routers 192.168.1.2;
option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.2;
option domain-name "nowhere.com";

key rndckey {
algorithm hmac-md5;
secret "ma_clé";
};

# nowhere.com site
#subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
#allow client-updates;
#ddns-updates on;
#authoritative;
#range 192.168.1.10 192.168.1.20;
#option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
#allow unknown-clients;
#}

# nowhere zone
zone nowhere.com. {
primary 127.0.0.1;
key rndckey;
}

# reverse DNS for nowhere.com zone
zone 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa. {
primary 127.0.0.1;
key rndckey;
}

host LinksysStore.nowhere.com {
hardware ethernet 00:0f:66:7b:f8:c8;
fixed-address 192.168.1.30;
update-static-leases on;
}

# Mon subnet
subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
        do-forward-updates true;
        allow client-updates;
 allow duplicates;
 option domain-name "nowhere.com";