Bind Error

Paul Amaral pamaral at meganet.net
Fri Aug 4 13:32:31 UTC 2006

Thanks Chris.

P.A > -----Original Message-----
P.A > From: bind-users-bounce at isc.org [mailto:bind-users-bounce at isc.org] On
P.A > Behalf Of Chris Buxton
P.A > Sent: Thursday, August 03, 2006 5:58 PM
P.A > To: Paul Amaral
P.A > Cc: comp-protocols-dns-bind at isc.org
P.A > Subject: Re: Bind Error
P.A >
P.A > No, it's nothing to worry about. It's a result of the Linux kernel
P.A > complaining that named is using a deprecated (but still working)
P.A > library call.
P.A >
P.A > As Mark Andrews (the go-to guy when it comes to BIND source code
P.A > questions) has already pointed out, the BIND source code is written
P.A > to pick between available socket routines based on kernel header
P.A > definitions, so that the correct routine should be chosen for the
P.A > available kernel; however, the kernel headers still tell the BIND
P.A > source code to use the obsolete routine, which the kernel then
P.A > complains about. Furthermore, it is bad form for the kernel people to
P.A > leave this error message in a release-quality kernel - this type of
P.A > debug message should only be generated on a debug build of the kernel.
P.A >
P.A > Nothing bad comes from any of this at the current time.
P.A >
P.A > In future kernel versions, this obsolete routine may be removed
P.A > entirely; it is reasonable to expect that the kernel folks will
P.A > update the headers by then, so that a version of named compiled for
P.A > that kernel will use an updated routine.
P.A >
P.A > I'm sure if there are any errors in what I've written above, someone
P.A > will correct me. It's all based on my understanding of what Mark
P.A > Andrews posted, plus my personal experience of this error message not
P.A > representing anything to worry about.
P.A >
P.A > Chris Buxton
P.A > Men & Mice
P.A >