Bind Error

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Thu Aug 3 21:57:58 UTC 2006

No, it's nothing to worry about. It's a result of the Linux kernel
complaining that named is using a deprecated (but still working)
library call.

As Mark Andrews (the go-to guy when it comes to BIND source code
questions) has already pointed out, the BIND source code is written
to pick between available socket routines based on kernel header
definitions, so that the correct routine should be chosen for the
available kernel; however, the kernel headers still tell the BIND
source code to use the obsolete routine, which the kernel then
complains about. Furthermore, it is bad form for the kernel people to
leave this error message in a release-quality kernel - this type of
debug message should only be generated on a debug build of the kernel.

Nothing bad comes from any of this at the current time.

In future kernel versions, this obsolete routine may be removed
entirely; it is reasonable to expect that the kernel folks will
update the headers by then, so that a version of named compiled for
that kernel will use an updated routine.

I'm sure if there are any errors in what I've written above, someone
will correct me. It's all based on my understanding of what Mark
Andrews posted, plus my personal experience of this error message not
representing anything to worry about.

Chris Buxton
Men & Mice