How do I get named to not log events from certain IPs.

John Hascall john at iastate.edu
Tue Aug 1 13:07:48 UTC 2006

> I have been successful running named on debian for quite some time and
> have recently adjusted my config to only respond for the domains we are
> authoritative for.  Now, I am
> getting TONS of hits to our name servers EVEN THOUGH they continue to
> be denied the same dumb boneheads keep trying to update and query our
> name server for hosts that we don't manage.
>
> My hourly log reports are now pretty tough to go through with this
> extra "denied" entries all over the place.  Is there a way to configure
> named to NOT log activity from certain IP addresses?  I have tried to
> contact the ISPs who manage their IP ranges, but none of them are
> responsive to my requests to help.

It seems likely that people have your nameserver configured as
one of the name servers in their client, so you reject them,
they pause and go on to the next nameserver in their list --
and they either don't notice the delay or have no idea where
it is coming from.

Anyway, the docs tell you how to adjust what you are logging.

It would be sweet if named had a way to just return something
like 127.0.0.1 to these queries -- that would get them to fix it! :)

John