How do I get named to not log events from certain IPs.

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Tue Aug 1 12:46:36 UTC 2006

In article <eam3qu$6sv$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Doug Barton <dougb at dougbarton.us> wrote:

> Barry Margolin wrote:
> > In article <ealn4m$1s5l$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
> >  Doug Barton <dougb at dougbarton.us> wrote:

> >> Welcome to the wonderful world of DNS administration. :)

> >> You are better off blocking this sort of stuff with a firewall.
> >
> > What firewalls allow you to block DNS packets specifically by request
> > type?  They all use the same port numbers.
>
> Well, perhaps I read that through the filter of my own experience, but I was
> under the impression that all of the traffic was unwanted, and that there
> was no reason for those remote servers to query the OP's servers at all. If
> I'm wrong about that, you're right, it's a much harder problem.

He said "only respond for the domains we are authoritative for", which
implies that it's the public-facing server that his domains are
delegated to.  So they have to respond to everyone.  Although this
normally only requires responding to everyone's caching server --
queries usually don't come directly from end-user systems (unless
they're running a personal caching server), so it probably *would* be OK
to simply block DNS coming from those IPs.  If they're running DHCP and
trying to register themselves in his DNS, they're probably not running
their own caching servers.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA