Bind 9.3.2 on Win2k - reverse lookups

Mark B mark.e.barrett at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 02:42:12 UTC 2006

Hello, I am having a problem with a new installation of BIND 9.3.2
running on Win2k server. I am hosting a master zone for both forward
and reverse lookup. The forward lookup is working fine, and is
replicating successfully to a slave server. I can't get reverse to work
at all, when I do an NSLOOKUP to this box I get the error "can't find
xxx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa.: server failed"
I have read through the ISC BIND Administrator's manual which doesn't
seem to address my problem. The examples they provide include a reverse
mapping for the loopback address - is this required? I cannot seem to
find any good references to file formats for BIND file formats on
Win2k.
My reverse file looks like this:
$TTL 900
@		SOA	ns1.xxx.com.

@		NS	ns1.xxx.com.
@		NS	ns2.xxx.com.

42		PTR	yyy.xxx.com.

and, the relevant section of my named.conf looks like this:
zone "3.2.1.in-addr.arpa" {
	type master;
	file "1.2.3.rev";
	allow-transfer {