failed while receiving responses and jnl touching

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Apr 3 22:41:00 UTC 2006

Barry Finkel wrote:

>drummah wrote:
>

>>>Does anyone have thoughts on this (below)?  I am not sure why this is
>>>occuring.
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance!
>>>
>>>Jon Wayne

>And Kevin Darcy replied:
>

>>Open a ticket with Microsoft on their crappy zone-transfer implementation.
>>

>I have no reason to believe that the MS code has bugs.  I have seen this
>happen with one of my forward and reverse zone pairs that is under the
>control of a MS DHCP server.  If there happen to be a "large" (i.e.,
>more than a few) DDNS updates to the MS W2003 DNS Server at the same
>time, then I can see where the IXFR might start and then the zone
>information changes due to another incoming DDNS packet.  I am not
>familiar with the IXFR protocol, so I do not know how many "delta
>decks" need to be saved on the master.

I can follow your reasoning with respect to Dynamic Updates "corrupting"
a zone transfer that's already in progress, although if that is the root
cause, I think ISC should probably produce a better error message, since
it's not obvious in the least from the error message what the cause of
the problem is.

However, since 95% of the "not exact" errors I see in my logs are for
zones hosted on MSDNS servers, even though the number of such zones are
dwarfed by the number of non-MSDNS-hosted slave zones, and even though
client registration in those zones is *disabled* in our environment, I'd
have to say there's at least circumstantial evidence of other
deficiencies in MSDNS's zone-transfer code or overall design (maybe all
of the DCs are rabidly re-registering their SRV records via Dynamic
Update (?); if so, that's a design flaw).

                                                               - Kevin