failed while receiving responses and jnl touching

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Mon Apr 3 13:56:13 UTC 2006

drummah wrote:

>>Does anyone have thoughts on this (below)?  I am not sure why this is
>>occuring.
>>
>>Thanks in advance!
>>
>>Jon Wayne
>>

>>drummah wrote:
>>

>>>I need some help in my continuing education with BIND and DNS.  I have
>>>a firewall running BIND 9 split-DNS slaving off of a wintendows domain
>>>controller which is master for DNS and running  AD and DHCP.  The W2k
>>>domain controller is on the internal network side of the firewall.  The
>>>domain controller is not set to notify.  The zone files on the firewall
>>>are set to refresh every fifteen minutes, too frequent perhaps.
>>>
>>>I am receiving the following logs:
>>>
>>>Feb 10 00:18:52 foo named[22143]: journal file
>>>/etc/namedb.u/foo.foo.foo.net.db.jnl does not exist, creating it
>>>Feb 10 00:18:52 foo named[22143]: transfer of 'foo.foo.foo.net/IN' from
>>>123.4.5.67#53: failed while receiving responses: not exact
>>>Feb 10 00:18:52 foo named[22143]: transfer of 'foo.foo.foo.net/IN' from
>>>123.4.5.67#53: end of transfer
>>>Feb 10 00:18:54 foo named[22143]: zone foo.foo.foo.net/IN: transferred
>>>serial 1316824
>>>Feb 10 00:18:54 foo named[22143]: transfer of foo.foo.foo.net/IN' from
>>>123.4.5.67#53: end of transfer
>>>
>>>After searching the archives of this group, the closest answer that I
>>>located was the following:
>>>
>>>"This indicated that the IXFR delta contained a request to remove a
>>>record that did not exist or to add a record that already exists.
>>>named will treat the zone as being out of sync and retransfer the
>>>entire zone."
>>>
>>>If this is true, then this may explain why the transfer fails and then
>>>immediatly succeeds.  Please help me to correct this and stop this from
>>>filling up my logs.  What should I look for and correct?
>>>
>>>Also, unlike BIND8, I thought that the jnl file always exists in BIND9
>>>once DNS is started.  Why does need to create the jnl file over and
>>>over every 15 minutes?
>>>
>>>Thanks for any insight and replies.
>>>
>>>Jon Wayne

And Kevin Darcy replied:

>Open a ticket with Microsoft on their crappy zone-transfer implementation.

I have no reason to believe that the MS code has bugs.  I have seen this
happen with one of my forward and reverse zone pairs that is under the
control of a MS DHCP server.  If there happen to be a "large" (i.e.,
more than a few) DDNS updates to the MS W2003 DNS Server at the same
time, then I can see where the IXFR might start and then the zone
information changes due to another incoming DDNS packet.  I am not
familiar with the IXFR protocol, so I do not know how many "delta
decks" need to be saved on the master.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov