out-of-business registrar

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Thu Sep 29 11:06:10 UTC 2005

> On Wednesday 2005-September-28 14:42, Joe Greco wrote:
> > OP:  Good luck getting Neustar to help you out with your .US geo
> > domain. Despite having obvious ties and control over our zones here
> > for a decade, they made me go through a huge song and dance of
> > getting letters from the CIO of the City of Milwaukee in order to
> > *remove* a *clearly dead* name server.  If I recall correctly, this
> > took about three months and several rounds of B.S. to get corrected,
> > and from what I hear, that's doing real good.
>
> Thanks, this story well illustrates my point that some would like
> Neustar to meet the same fate as i-theta.

Sadly unlikely, as Neustar has their hooks in other stuff as well.

I think many of the older delegated managers long for the days when
problem resolution involved dropping a note to Postel and everything
was better within a few hours.

> > I feel certain that they want the .US geo names dead, gone, and
> > inoperable, because they're not making any money from them.  Their
> > level of support for the delegated managers seems to reflect that,
> > and they've essentially halted any attempts at new registrations,
>
> Have you considered taking your tale of woe to the US DOC? Not that I
> hold any hope of it doing any good, but maybe eventually they will
> decide to hold Neustar accountable for their performance.
>
> If the kickbacks dry up, that is. :)

I believe the City may have made such a threat, as they were watching with
a certain lack of amusement at the runaround I was getting.  First, Neustar
wanted a letter, electronic format was fine...  then a while later that was
not OK and they needed a hard copy...  and on and on it went.

They mainly Wanted Their Damn Web Site To Work, because they hadn't yet
bought into the ".gov" registry B.S.  I'm still not clear on exactly why
that one isn't going away as planned (obvious political motives aside).

... JG