cache.novell.com lame delegation ?

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Thu Sep 29 04:57:25 UTC 2005

In article <dhf6d8$1aj1$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:

> Lucio Jankok wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >Is the below an example of a lame delegation?
> >
> >bash-2.05$ nslookup -type=ns cache.novell.com D.ns.footprint.net.
> >Server:  endor.bsdserver.org
> >Address:  192.168.1.5
> >
> >Non-authoritative answer:
> >cache.novell.com        canonical name = cache.novell.com.c.footprint.net
> >
> >Authoritative answers can be found from:
> >c.footprint.net
> >        origin = a5299.sandpiper.net
> >        mail addr = hostmaster.sandpiper.net
> >        serial = 1700
> >        refresh = 1800 (30M)
> >        retry   = 900 (15M)
> >        expire  = 2592000 (2592000)
> >        minimum ttl = 300 (5M)
> >bash-2.05$ nslookup c.footprint.net
> >Server:  endor.bsdserver.org
> >Address:  192.168.1.5
> >
> >*** No address (A) records available for c.footprint.net
> >bash-2.05$
> >
> Nope. You asked for A records with the name c.footprint.net, and there
> aren't any.

I think he did this because he made the mistake of using nslookup in the
first place.  It confusingly says "Authoritative answers can be found
from: c.footprint.net", suggesting that this is the hostname of a
nameserver.  But in this case, the Authority section of the reply
doesn't contain an NS record, it contains the SOA record for the zone
c.footprint.net.

Use dig instead of nslookup, and you're less likely to be confused by
misleading output.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA