syncronizing 2 dns server (windows/linux)

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Sep 27 21:18:36 UTC 2005

> I'm not going to argue. It's not something I feel strongly about. As
> indicated, it is not a problem for me at all. I suggest you look at
> what various Linux distributors give with their BIND packages. Take it
> or leave it. I guess you left it, and that's fine with me.
>
> True, you know a lot more about it than they do. ISTM that the more I
> know about some things, the harder it gets to explain it to people who
> know nothing about it. Maybe that's just me and maybe it means I don't
> *really* understand it all that well ...
>
> ... But there is one undeniable fact: Linux distributors put out a
> named.conf (with localhost zones) which works in many circumstances.
>
> You've made the choice not to do that. I am not in a position to
> second-guess the wisdom of that decision. I can only offer my
> perspective as one who has found those default Slackware installs
> useful. I did that; I am done.
>
> As always, many thanks for your work on BIND. BIND is wonderful.
>
> On Tuesday 2005-September-27 02:55, Mark Andrews wrote:
> > > no internal nor external DNS, simply using the default Slackware
> > > config, for all local hosts to use. I was surprised recently here
> > > when I was told that installing from source is not that simple.
> >
> > 	And what hostname did you give your machine?
>
> With "hosts: files dns" in nsswitch.conf and the hostname listed
> in /etc/hosts, all is well.

	You didn't answer my question.

	That handles gethostbyname, gethostbyaddr, getaddrinfo and
	getnameinfo.  It doesn't handle all the other potential
	queries for a non-registered name.

	Ask the ".se" administators what non-registered names under
	".se" cause.  They see plenty of leaks.  I presume it is the
	same for just about all infrastructure zones.  "." definitely
	gets many.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC