syncronizing 2 dns server (windows/linux)

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Tue Sep 27 17:27:30 UTC 2005

I'm not going to argue. It's not something I feel strongly about. As
indicated, it is not a problem for me at all. I suggest you look at
what various Linux distributors give with their BIND packages. Take it
or leave it. I guess you left it, and that's fine with me.

True, you know a lot more about it than they do. ISTM that the more I
know about some things, the harder it gets to explain it to people who
know nothing about it. Maybe that's just me and maybe it means I don't
*really* understand it all that well ...

... But there is one undeniable fact: Linux distributors put out a
named.conf (with localhost zones) which works in many circumstances.

You've made the choice not to do that. I am not in a position to
second-guess the wisdom of that decision. I can only offer my
perspective as one who has found those default Slackware installs
useful. I did that; I am done.

As always, many thanks for your work on BIND. BIND is wonderful.

On Tuesday 2005-September-27 02:55, Mark Andrews wrote:
> > no internal nor external DNS, simply using the default Slackware
> > config, for all local hosts to use. I was surprised recently here
> > when I was told that installing from source is not that simple.
>
> 	And what hostname did you give your machine?

With "hosts: files dns" in nsswitch.conf and the hostname listed
in /etc/hosts, all is well.
    or "not-spam" is in Subject: header