syncronizing 2 dns server (windows/linux)

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Sep 27 03:07:20 UTC 2005

> > And how much did you pay for your copy of BIND?
>
> About 6-8 hours, plus about another 4 total from other people on the
> list (easy).
>
> 10-12 hours, total, to get something that should be as non-customized,
> absolutely stock, as possible.
>
> THAT is the problem.
>
> Again, what is the goal for the BIND distribution: To be used as
> easily as possible, or only to be used by people who have time to
> invest in reading and understanding the docs totally, who have the
> time to invest in making customized configs?

	Yes we do expect people to read and know what they are doing.
	There really isn't a default configuration caching configuration
	that fits all situations.

	* Is the cache behind a NAT?  If so you need to account for that.
	* Is the cache just for the host machine or is it for a network?
	* Do you want to enable DNSSEC or not?  If so what keys do you
	  trust?  Do you want to enable DLV?
	* Do you have direct access to the root servers or not?
	* Have you registered the domain name you are using or not?

	The list of questions goes on and on.  To answer the questions
	you really do need to have a understanding of what you are
	doing.

	Yes that means you really should read a book like "DNS and
	BIND" from cover to cover several times.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org