DNS delegation based on both location and organization

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Mon Sep 12 20:33:21 UTC 2005

cmic wrote:
> Danny Mayer a =E9crit :

>>You don't really need load balancers for DNS since the architecture of
>>DNS is by its nature distributed. Load Balancers for DNS are a waste of
>>money and effort.
>>

> Hum. Surprise. I understand that the distributed arch. of DNS is a
> "reliable" one, but I thought (as a non-expert DNS admin) thet load
> balancing for DNS was usefull to allow *one* server (say the
> auhoritative one) to answer more queries/second. Something like
> multiply the power of *this* server. Am I right ?

The nameservers listed in the parent domain are by definition the
authorative ones. Which one gets a query to be answered authoratively is
essentially random. So if you need more steam you add more authorative
servers and list them in the parent. After that if you still need more
resouces you can start using anycast. See how the root servers work.
They certainly don't use load balancing.

Danny