DNS delegation based on both location and organization

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Sep 9 23:39:13 UTC 2005

cmic wrote:

>Danny Mayer a =E9crit :

>>You don't really need load balancers for DNS since the architecture of
>>DNS is by its nature distributed. Load Balancers for DNS are a waste of
>>money and effort.
>>

>Hum. Surprise. I understand that the distributed arch. of DNS is a
>"reliable" one, but I thought (as a non-expert DNS admin) thet load
>balancing for DNS was usefull to allow *one* server (say the
>auhoritative one) to answer more queries/second. Something like
>multiply the power of *this* server. Am I right ?

Generally it's better to just add more nameservers. Putting
load-balancers in front only makes economic sense if you already have
load-balancers with spare capacity, or if you have such a high query
load for a particular zone that adding more NS records to it will cause
truncation/retries, etc. (see some of the other comments in this
thread). Since we had load-balancers anyway, it made sense for us to put
them in front of our Internet-facing nameservers. The load-balancers
also give us the flexibility to rearrange our DNS hosting infrastructure
without having to make any changes with the various registries around
the world, which can get pretty expensive/time-consuming/tedious when
you're talking about hundreds of domains in dozens of TLDs...

            - Kevin